Q. How do I contact the Bar Association of Seychelles ("BAS")?
A. The contact details of the BAS may be found at the Contact Us page.

Q. How do I become a Seychelles lawyer?
A. Details on qualifying as an Attorney-at-Law may be found at the Qualifying as a Seychelles Lawyer page.

Q. How can I register in Seychelles as a foreign qualified lawyer?
A. There are no laws which provide for the registration or recognition of foreign qualified lawyers in Seychelles.

Q. I am a foreigner and I want to practice Seychelles law, how do I go about this?
A.  Firstly, you will require certain minimum qualifications in order for you to start pupillage at an approved chamber in Seychelles. You will then need to secure pupillage at an approved chamber. You will then need to contact the Immigration Division to obtain a work permit, referred to in Seychelles as a Gainful Occupation Permit (GOP), alternatively, you may seek a Residence Permit, but this may only allow you to undertake unpaid pupillage. After 2 years of pupillage you may petition the Chief Justice to be admitted as an Attorney-at-Law, but this does not guarantee that you will be eligible for a GOP.

Q. I wish to complain against an attorney for professional misconduct, to whom should I lodge my complaint to?
A. The Supreme Court of Seychelles may initiate investigations against allegations of misconduct or malpractice against an attorney and take disciplinary measures against the attorney. You may lodge your complaints for the attention of the Chief Justice through the Supreme Court.

Q. I need legal advice, to what extent can the Bar Association of Seychelles help?
A. The Bar Association of Seychelles is not allowed to and will not provide you with legal services or specific advice to your legal problems, however, the Bar Association of Seychelles may direct you to where you should go to seek for help or legal advice.

Q. Where can I obtain electronic copies of Seychelles legislation?
Seylii.org provides free access to most Seychelles legislation. It is also provides access to the more recent Court of Appeal and Supreme Court judgments.

Q. Where can I obtain hard copies of Seychelles legislation?
You may purchase hard copies of Seychelles legislation from the Drafting Division of the Department of Legal Affairs. You may contact the Department of Legal Affairs here.

Q. What are the normal office opening hours of lawyers in Seychelles?
Most law firms and sole practitioners' office opening hours are from 8am to 4pm Seychelles time (+4 GMT) during the weekdays. Most offices will be closed during the weekends and public holidays. Calls made outside of the opening hours are unlikely to be answered.

Page last updated 03/09/2015